Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 9: Blood Brothers Count Down Day 9 of 28:How I Write!

Day 9: Blood Brothers Count Down Day 9 of 28:How I Write!

My new novel, Blood Brothers, is to be launched on 1st October. This is day 9 of the countdown to the launch.  

So today, I'm panicking!

There is a lot of work to do before the new novel is actually launched. I'm in the hands of other people and that feels very uncomfortable - will we actually make the deadline?

The sad thing about this part of creating books is that I can't actually do much creative writing.  

There are too many other things going on around me.  

Plus my latest creative project is writing the script for a television play and I'm finding that quite unlike writing a novel! Yes, you do need a story arc - a plot - with a beginning/introduction, some challenges and obstacles to make up the middle and then some kind of resolution. But after that, I'm finding the form quite different. And for me, much less satisfying.

I fell a little in love with Jet, the hero of my first novel, The Wolf Project. With Blood Brothers, I am still a little in love with Julian. I shall only fall out of love with him when I start on novel three and that will be after I complete the play.

I write novels in great big, explosive, bursts of activity - around a 1,000 words a day.  These words then need to be refined and refined until they make some kind of sense. But the general thrust and where I want to go is usually there at the beginning.  Sometimes, though, the story and the characters just take-off in a new direction and to a new place that you didn't expect. The third part of Blood Brother changed completely after my content editor, bless her, first read it! That was exciting and I hope you enjoy the results.

So, for now, I go back to worrying about the timetable and doing what I can to get us there.  I hope you will stay with me on this journey!

Come back tomorrow for day 10!
Enter your email address below to receive future posts, newsletters and information about Wendy Mason's new novel, Blood Brothers:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!